On-call Field Archeologist
Location: West Mojave Desert
Nonprofit organizations requires a Seasonal Field Archeological to assist with off-highway vehicle restoration projects on public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in the West Mojave Desert.
Friends of Jawbone (FOJ) and Friends of El Mirage (FOEM) are non-profit organizations in support of off-highway vehicle recreation in the West Mojave Desert. Among our activities are restoration projects on public lands managed by the BLM. Each year we restore 20-30 miles of motorized routes that are designated closed, with current projects in the Jawbone, Rand Mountains, El Paso Mountains, and Middle Knob regions. Rate of pay is based upon experience.
• Self-navigate backcountry roads to specific proposed restoration worksites; vehicle provided
• Perform cultural clearance surveys
• Report and coordinate results to BLM cultural staff
• Ability to work independently but as a member of a team
• Ability to work safely and efficiently in challenging conditions and terrain
• Previous experience performing cultural field surveys, preferably in the Southwestern U.S.
• Familiarity with ESRI mapping and data management tools
• Possesses valid drivers license and good driving record